About Us

My photo
Kasoa, Ghana
Back in the day, the old-days of the New Testament, it was honorable to be a disciple. It was so honorable, in fact, that a disciple would leave everything: house, friends, and family to learn to be exactly like the rabbi. During these times a blessing developed: “May you be covered in the dust of your rabbi.” Right out of college, two girls decided to pursue the call to teaching in Africa. They invite you to join their words and thoughts as they shake the dust of their chacos off on their blog, hoping to reveal to you all that God is revealing to them.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

The First Night...duh duh duh!

Jamie Thordsen and I settled in to Ghana yesterday. The beginning on the day was rather expected: we toured the grounds, met some goats, ate some food, and hung out.

Then Jamie and I drank some Zen Tea.


On our way back to our room a little gecko friend entered our room. Now I, lizziey june, am not scared of much. But I hate iguanas. I will run away from them and cry like there is no tomorrow. A gecko is not an iguana, granted, but I do not care for them in my room. I began to itch all over with the thought of my little lizard friend crawling around me while I slept.

I distracted myself with the internet until the lights went off. Then I played computer games until my battery died. Then the electricity came back on! repeat entire scenario except the electricity stayed off until this afternoon.
 

So Jamie and I, not tired at all, turned on our cool solar power lamps and read some books. I wrote in my journal, I read Health magazine, I finished two games of expert Sudoku on my Nook. And then we stood on our heads.

Earlier I had put up a poster of a pilates workout.  At about 2 am Jamie decided to get out of bed and do some pilates. At SpringHill we used to say that living with a person for a month was the equivalent of living in the real world with a person for a year. If this is true, I have the feeling that living in Africa with someone makes you closer friends twice as fast. Especially since I found myself attempting to stand on my head at 2 am with the lovely Jamie Thorsden.

Finally sleep found us. But we did not wake up until noon today. We drank our first cup of Via Starbucks instant coffee (AMAZING!) and ate our first bowl of Fufu.  Then we jogged a bit. It's been a good day.

Tonight there is a party! I must go ready myself in my shower bucket.  Farewell, Friends!




1 comment: