About Us

My photo
Kasoa, Ghana
Back in the day, the old-days of the New Testament, it was honorable to be a disciple. It was so honorable, in fact, that a disciple would leave everything: house, friends, and family to learn to be exactly like the rabbi. During these times a blessing developed: “May you be covered in the dust of your rabbi.” Right out of college, two girls decided to pursue the call to teaching in Africa. They invite you to join their words and thoughts as they shake the dust of their chacos off on their blog, hoping to reveal to you all that God is revealing to them.

Friday, September 2, 2011

How to Live Vicariously Through Lizziey and Jamie (Pioneer Woman Style)


Jamie and I have heard many of you say things like “I wish I was there!” or “Thanks for letting us live vicariously through you!” Because we love you all SO much we wanted to enhance that experience and give you a chance (challenge) to prove you mean every word you say! 

So this, my friends, is how to take a shower, Jamie and Lizziey style.

Before beginning shower process gather the things you need:
2 5-gallon buckets
1 or 2 small pitchers for scooping water
Shampoo (I use a shampoo bar)
Shaving cream if desired
Razor
Let's begin!


1st:  Turn on Water Heater. Wait 15 minutes. This will produce lukewarmish water. Yes I said lukewarmish.




2nd:  Place large bucket under water spigot. Our water pressure is extremely low, so if you are doing this at home turn your water on 1/4th of what you normally would and make it lukewarmish. This temperature is enough to not feel like ice, but still cool. Wait 5 minutes for bucket to mostly fill.

 


3a:  Turn water spigot off. Place dry hair in bucket. 
2b: Pretend this picture is not upside down. How do I rotate on a blog? 


4a: Lather up! I use LUSH shampoo bars (lushusa.com $10.95). This one pictured is called Karma Komba. It is vegan and smells a little like citrus. I like it a lot as it produces a great lather with only one or two swipes.  It will last a long time. I used gentle lentil (lushusa.com $9.95) and it smelled good but was not nearly as good of a lather and did not last as long as Karma Komba.
 

 

5th: Transfer hair to empty bucket. Use the pitcher to scoop water from the clean bucket over your hair and into the empty bucket. This water will be sudsy. Complete process until your hair is no longer very soapy. 


 
6th: Use sudsy water to shave your legs. You may add some more shaving cream/shampoo/conditioner if you’d like. But remember the more you put on, the harder it is to clean off.




 7: Rinse with leftover clear water and towel of as best as you can.  Travel towels are excellent but this one pictured by Sea to Summit is my favorite. The Tek Towel featured here ($14.90 + shipping, backcountry.com) is ultra soft, ultra absorbent, although somewhat heavier than others for the size (16 x 32 inches. Still, it is enough to dry myself. It's THAT good. 




Enjoy your shower, folks! And if you accept our challenge, please comment and let us know how it went!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I had low pressure in the shower last week and it was annoying! I wanted to be able to enjoy my bath but I couldn't! Wow! I can't imagine Jamie with all the amount of hair she has! Wow! It surely should help us appreciate what we have, I'm learning from your pictures, writings, everything!
    Btw, what is lukewarmish? Sorry... Jejeje And I don't know about rotating a picture! :/

    ReplyDelete