About Us

My photo
Kasoa, Ghana
Back in the day, the old-days of the New Testament, it was honorable to be a disciple. It was so honorable, in fact, that a disciple would leave everything: house, friends, and family to learn to be exactly like the rabbi. During these times a blessing developed: “May you be covered in the dust of your rabbi.” Right out of college, two girls decided to pursue the call to teaching in Africa. They invite you to join their words and thoughts as they shake the dust of their chacos off on their blog, hoping to reveal to you all that God is revealing to them.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Roads to Discovery and Expectations...

After reading Lizziey’s awesome blog post “Thoughts from My Veranda”, I have been too intimidated to write my own post. But since I am under contractual obligation to do so, I will carry on! Reminding myself that we are partners, and that our differences are what make us into such a great team. Weaknesses we have in some areas are covered by the other’s strength in that same area. So without further ado, my post for the week:

View of  our shower and buckets.
Lizziey and I have survived our first week in Ghana! It feels like we arrived forever ago, but in my experience, the first week in anything new goes by extra slow. However, once that week is up everything starts to speed up and time just zooms on by. By now, we have: mastered the art of taking a shower with buckets (see Lizziey’s blog below), discovered how to do our laundry (without having our clothes smell like they’ve been worn by goats), organized all our school and teacher supplies, and figured out were pretty much everything is and goes (especially the kitchen appliances and food). We have also adjusted our internal clocks to “Ghana time” (*sigh* no more sleeping until noon for us!), befriended all the sisters, novices and little Jamilla (the 6 year old daughter of one of the cooks), and even managed to do the class schedules for the entire school! For us these are all great accomplishments, and even though we still have a lot to learn, we are confident that the time for learning all those other things will come.

Personally, I’ve learned that without the distraction of the TV and occasionally the Internet (when the electricity goes out, or just the internet goes out), I have more time available for other things. For example, learning to play the piano (props to my awesome teacher Lizziey), doing artsy stuff, and most importantly dedicating more time to God. However, the electricity and Internet have not gone out nearly enough to become an inconvenience, which also allows me to keep in regular contact with my family and friends!



Our Chacos! They're the perfect shoe for our excursions!
Apart from all the things we’ve done while in the convent and school premises, we have had the opportunity to go into town on two separate occasions. The first was this past Saturday, and the second was today. The first time we took a taxi ride, for 80 pesewa e/a (.80 cedi, and 1 cedi= 1.5 USD). I was so excited to get out, that I didn't pay very much attention to my  surroundings. I was aware of the amount of trash and people by the roads, but somehow my good mood served as a good buffer from these unpleasantries. I instead focused on how people went about their daily business, and how the horrible driving and traffic reminded me of home, making me feel even more at ease. In short I was happy, and I effectively admired the world around me through those rose-colored lenses. But today's excursion was a whole different story! Although less people were out and about today, I didn't feel quite as at ease as I felt the first time. Additionally, the smells emanating from the swampy trash lined gutters were much stronger and harder to ignore this time around. Trash talk aside, I did notice very interesting things on both days. For example: a couple of house gates had the "Gye Name" symbol; taxi drivers know every crater of a pothole on the many roads leading to the convent; "Proverbs 10:22", "God is Great Beauty", and "Jesus In U Plumbing" are normal names for shops; just because the music sounds lively and innocent, it doesn't mean the lyrics are quite as innocent, and last but not least goats are the latest in pet companionship, who needs a lap dog when you can have a pet goat... or fresh goat stew? But seriously the baby goats are sooooo cuuuuteeee!!!! XD Especially when they randomly jump up excitedly! 
This is a sheep, not a goat... But Lizziey took it, and it's a funny picture! :P
Next up on our adventure list is Cape Coast! We will be heading there tomorrow to have a teachers' retreat until Sunday. There we will meet the rest of the teaching and school staff as well as getting our initial orientation for school. I have no idea what to expect in terms of what we will see and learn, but I will be sure to tell you all on my next post!

Medasi (that means thank you in Fante, we learned that too!) and God Bless,
Jamie

7 comments:

  1. Jamie thank you for sharing your side of the story, that is just awesome. I have enjoyed reading and experiencing in a sense what you both are living in Ghana. Blessings!
    Medasi
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! I am loving it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ypu are an awesome writer you! Jejeje Loved it! :)
    To what do you refer in the part "just because the music sounds lively and innocent, it doesn't mean the lyrics are quite as innocent,"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for nice information
    Don't forget to visit our site :)

    Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete