About Us

My photo
Kasoa, Ghana
Back in the day, the old-days of the New Testament, it was honorable to be a disciple. It was so honorable, in fact, that a disciple would leave everything: house, friends, and family to learn to be exactly like the rabbi. During these times a blessing developed: “May you be covered in the dust of your rabbi.” Right out of college, two girls decided to pursue the call to teaching in Africa. They invite you to join their words and thoughts as they shake the dust of their chacos off on their blog, hoping to reveal to you all that God is revealing to them.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Let the children come!

So today was "Our Day" at the school. "Our Day" is the last day of school before kids go for break. It is a big celebration, full of food and plenty of dancing and playing! The kids get to bring food from home and wear jeans and an OLHCS polo shirt. :) This is the first year with the shirt, for in past years the kids wore their own house clothes. I am told this was half of the fun, since many kids wore ridiculously funny outfits (I vaguely recall someone mentioning a girl who came with a wig, can you imagine?!). Maybe it wasn't quite as funny as in past years, but the children sure looked cute/nice with their shirts today! Anyways, after all of the kids had arrived, we sat oustide (the tables and chairs had been put there under 3 big tents) and everyone ate their lunches. Afterwards, we danced while the music was still playing and then the kids just played until it was time to go home. :D

The day was long and hot, but Lizziey and I managed to clean most all of the garbage randomly thrown about, and we even put the heavy tables back in the dinning hall. Though the day came with its share of frustrations, I can't help thinking back to when the kids were dancing with me. At one point I must've had like ten kids crowded around me, each trying to dance just with me. So I decided to have them hold hands and make a circle; we would dance by walking to the middle and then walking away from the center. This worked for all of two minutes before they were fighting to get to hold my hand! After a while though, most left and I had a smaller more manageable group with me. Eventually I had only 4 kids who basically followed me around for the rest of the day ( at least until I managed to hide out in the library at the end of the day)! Oh yeah, and one of the kids was a girl who had made it her mission, since she saw me in the morning, to never leave my side for the whole day! I think she did really good, considering that the only time she was not with me was when they were all eating and when I manage to hide from her. :) Now don't get me wrong, I love her, she's a pretty good kid, but I did not want someone following me around for the whole day...



Those kid mob-attacks have become very frequent lately, a lot of the kids just randomly come up to me and hug and hold on to me for long periods of time.  I don't mind the hugs, honest,  but it is problematic when 10 kids are all trying to hug you at the same time, and you can barely stand from the pushing and pulling of it. Also, telling them to "stop" and to "let go" doesn't seem to work. I don't know what to do about it yet... Of course part of me loves that they do that (it's cute and sweet), but I can't do much of anything when it happens, so we shall see how I find a balance...

Often times when this happens I tend to think about Luke 18:16-17.
"But Jesus called to the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."
I know what it feels like to have kids practically mob you, so I think I understand where the disciples were coming from a little better now. Having grown up with this teaching, as a child I could not understand why anyone would not want children to come near Jesus. It seemed obvious to me that the disciples were a little dumb because children couldn't hurt Jesus, and in the end it was one of them who betrayed and hurt Jesus. Now, I don't know if there was a cultural norm about children and where they could/couldn't go (and if this is why the disciples protested their presence), but I do know how annoying they can sometimes be, even when their intentions are good. However, I don't think that's what Jesus meant when he talked about the kingdom of God belonging to children...
In my time here I am quickly learning how special children really are! Did you know that a child will most always believe ANYTHING you tell them? They don't really question it or try to figure out how it works, they just believe you because they trust you. Also, children who believe they can do something very well will do it "on their own" but forget to pay attention to the directions of what they should be doing. Those who don't feel like they can do the work will ask you to do it for them, or for you to help them (and consequently will pay better attention to the directions). Children are also very loving, they always want to be with you, and even when it's only been one hour, they will miss you when you are not near. Children learn by example (monkey see, monkey do); if you pick up the trash, they will eventually pick it up with you, even without you asking them to. Finally, children are very sweet (eye de paj*), they are so sweet that one cannot help but love them even when they are doing things we don't necessarily like or enjoy. I think this is because they unabashedly show and share their love, so one can't help but love them back even when they are doing things you don't like. Granted not everything a child does is "good", but there are some valuable lessons that we can learn from them. Most of them reflect how we should interact with God : Do we trust and believe Him like a child would?; Do we long to be near Him at all times?; Do we recognize we cannot do anything without His help?; Do we follow Jesus' example and model it for others? Are we as sweet and loving  as a child, sweet and loving as Jesus?
I hope that as my time here passes I may better learn to be more like a child.
God bless
Jamie

*With spanish pronunciation, "eye de paj" means very sweet... The english would be something like "eh-jay day pah"

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jay... you made me laugh with the stories of the kids around you and the girl that followed you all day long. You were her mission for the day. LOL Do i trust and believe God like a child would?; Even when I believe God and know of his goodness sometimes I fear about the outcome of certain situations in my life! Trust that whatever happens it will always turn out for the good.... I need to be more like a child! That will be my tonight's prayer.
    Love you.... mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats the way we should learn. Me enorgullece tanto verte crecer, entre esfuerzo y esfuerzo tu recompensa esta cerca. Gracias por recordarme que es importante, recibirlo a el como niño. Te amo, un monton, te extraño full.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning how are you?

    My name is Emilio, I am a Spanish boy and I live in a town near to Madrid. I am a very interested person in knowing things so different as the culture, the way of life of the inhabitants of our planet, the fauna, the flora, and the landscapes of all the countries of the world etc. in summary, I am a person that enjoys traveling, learning and respecting people's diversity from all over the world.

    I would love to travel and meet in person all the aspects above mentioned, but unfortunately as this is very expensive and my purchasing power is quite small, so I devised a way to travel with the imagination in every corner of our planet. A few years ago I started a collection of letters addressed to me in which my goal was to get at least 1 letter from each country in the world. This modest goal is feasible to reach in the most part of countries, but unfortunately it’s impossible to achieve in other various territories for several reasons, either because they are countries at war, either because they are countries with extreme poverty or because for whatever reason the postal system is not functioning properly.

    For all this I would ask you one small favour:
    Would you be so kind as to send me a letter by traditional mail from Ghana? I understand perfectly that you think that your blog is not the appropriate place to ask this, and even, is very probably that you ignore my letter, but I would call your attention to the difficulty involved in getting a letter from that country, and also I don’t know anyone neither where to write in Ghana in order to increase my collection. a letter for me is like a little souvenir, like if I have had visited that territory with my imagination and at same time, the arrival of the letters from a country is a sign of peace and normality and a original way to promote a country in the world. My postal address is the following one:

    Emilio Fernandez Esteban
    Calle Valencia, 39
    28903 Getafe (Madrid)
    Spain

    If you wish, you can visit my blog www.cartasenmibuzon.blogspot.com, where you can see the pictures of all the letters that I have received from whole World.

    Finally I would like to thank the attention given to this letter, and whether you can help me or not, I send my best wishes for peace, health and happiness for you, your family and all your dear beings.

    Yours Sincerely

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me hiciste reir mucho!!!!! Jejeje Y si quiero aprender de ellos mas, lo necesito...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jamie,
    I've been keeping up with your blog, I'm just not much into commenting, I'm rather shy when it comes to it. However, this post about children it is so touching I couldn't resist. God has trusted these children in your hands, how joyful to read the love they are demonstrating you. All these emotions and tokens of affection are the result of how much they love you based on everything you have done for them. It is their way of saying THANK YOU for everything you have done. God is happy and grateful as well.
    May the Lord continues to bless you with your generous heart. Know that every time I read your posts or FB status I elevate a prayer for you, your friend and all the children. Amen.
    Looking forward to the next update here in your blog. Te envío un fuerte abrazo y espero verte cuando vuelvas,
    Claudia Sadowski

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jamie,
    Just returned home from having dinner with your parents, brother, and grandmother. We were so happy that they were able to stop in St. Petersburg for a brief visit before continuing their drive back to Indiana. Your presence was missed but it sounds like you are having an incredible adventure and doing great work. God Bless, Ricky & Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your description of the children I can so relate!!! The 3 years I was teacher assistant during my college years I felt exactly the same!!!! That's why i loved going :)!!! but you already knew that :) Your questions are really deep ones too! i've been thinking about them! and of course I ain't gonna say my comments here since I'm very shy!!! Is it always hot over there?? Your comment about the kids being naive and trustful reminded me about someone "hint hint"... Your experiences are very adventurous in terms of the number of kids you gotta handle!! :) Pero Ik you like it deep down!!! Though it seems frustrating!

    ReplyDelete