About Us

My photo
Kasoa, Ghana
Back in the day, the old-days of the New Testament, it was honorable to be a disciple. It was so honorable, in fact, that a disciple would leave everything: house, friends, and family to learn to be exactly like the rabbi. During these times a blessing developed: “May you be covered in the dust of your rabbi.” Right out of college, two girls decided to pursue the call to teaching in Africa. They invite you to join their words and thoughts as they shake the dust of their chacos off on their blog, hoping to reveal to you all that God is revealing to them.

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Giving up Control


Yet another week has flown by… Okay, okay, two weeks to be exact! In my defense, it is incredibly hard to write a blog post during the week. *Sigh* I now have a deeper appreciation of what it takes to grade homework and class work assignments. I was never one of those kids who needed to have their work back and graded right away, but now I understand why sometimes teachers do take forever to grade assignments. For a class of 40, it takes about 1 ½ hours to grade the simplest of assignments. Yeah I am sticking to that excuse, I can’t blog because I have too much grading to do! However, I will work on my blogging so that all subsequent blogs will hopefully be written on weekends. Yayy! :D In the meantime, be patient with me please… 0:-)

A quick update:
Lizziey and I made it into Accra the Thursday before last. We thought we were doing passport/visa things, but instead we ended up having a walk-about “tour” of Accra while on the hunt for a cell phone and some money. Seeing as it was a school day, and we still had class on Friday, we decided to head back as soon as we were done eating. At 4pm we managed to get a cab that would dare take us back to Kasoa for 20 cedis (about $15)! Although it is technically a 90min. drive to Kasoa, the traffic is so bad that it took us 4 hours to get back. Needless to say it was a very long and exhausting day!

On Sunday Lizziey and I accompanied Mimi (B3 homeroom teacher) to her church “Assemblies of God”. I loved the English part of the worship, and enjoyed the rest of the Fante one, but the preaching was difficult to follow for 2 reasons: 1) The pastor insisted on screaming his sermon in his heavily accented English, 2) A translator repeated everything the pastor said in Fante, also very loudly. The combination of all this and the heat was perfect to create a headache. But we will continue to search for more churches.
Last week was pretty “normal”, each day with its own ups and downs.

On Friday we had or first spelling bee. The top 5 students of each class, picked during the week, competed for 1st  place overall. Amazingly the B1 students beat all the older kids!  Saturday, Lizziey and I cleaned our room and did our laundry… or tried to since we were out of clothes pins and  it had started to rain… Sunday we were supposed to go to Takoradi with the sisters but decided to stay and have a spa day. We did pedicures with our buckets, tanned on the roof, and even managed to make our own pizza (thanks to the pizza kit Lizziey’s mom had sent). All in all, a pretty perfect weekend! J

Back to the present…

As Lizziey mentioned in her blog, every single day here is different. Each day presents its own new challenges and rewards, as well as new learning experiences. So far I’ve learned: how to make the perfect spaghetti sauce out of tomato paste, the 101 uses for cardboard, how to procrastinate while still actually getting things done and how to properly treat a spider bite. Ok, I am still working on that last one but with Lizziey’s help and her well-stocked “pink bag” (a.k.a. emergency kit), I think I will make it.

 Anyways, the constant ups and downs of my days let me focus on the most important thing in my life: God. I am learning to rely on God fully, even for the day-to-day things. It's easy to turn to God when we realize we can no longer do things on our own. However, it is because we believe that we can do certain things without His help that we get into trouble in the first place. Depending on God for the little things is harder than for the big things. So I will continue to lay everything that I am and have before Him. I will continually give my life to Him, so that He may use it however He sees fit. I will trust that He has the best intentions for me, and He knows what is best for me. It may be easier said than done, but I fully intend to see it through.

Nyame Inshirawu (God Bless You)
~Jamie
P.S. Some things we love about our days: starry night sky, when kids “get it” (our lessons), eating fried plantains (yumm), getting caught in the pouring rain (except on laundry days), getting packages (or letters), and last but not least blog comments. So please comment! Madasi! :p 

11 comments:

  1. We love you. Thank you for the blogs and how well you 2 balance each other. The starry nights sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh precious girl.... you are so sweet. I am very happy to know that you are both feeling much better and getting adjusted to your new "lifestyle". Its a big change!!! it is. Maybe you dont think of it, because you really want to serve God and do exactly what you are doing now. I am happy to know that God is rewarding you both with those beautiful starry nights, with the smile of a innocent child, or with the surprise of a box full of goodies that comes in the mail. God is good! love you mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. It appears that each day experience is a road map that the loard has prepared you for. You welcome each experience with open arms - that is beautiful.
    I appreciated a few sentences the most. It states ... "It's easy to turn to God when we realize we can no longer do things on our own. However, it is because we believe that we can do certain things without His help that we get into trouble in the first place. Depending on God for the little things is harder than for the big things. So I will continue to lay everything that I am and have before Him. " Amen

    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg you really have had an adventure! I personally enjoyed your blog it made my day. Its easy to complain about life when you've had it all, but reading your blog makes me feel really proud of you and I give thanks to God for taking such good care of you and your friends. It makes me happy to read about your daily tasks and see how you've grown to be a young lady that fully trust in God I'm soooo proud of you! Love you, Sueilyn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your blog just like you wanted me too! sounds like u r having funn, but yett alot of hard work. i always knew u had that teacher thing in ya lol, maybe its because you taught me so many things, and help me in almost anything you could, especially school work :) Keep workin hard, i love you! And i miss u _cisco

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jamie:
    Thank you for being you. Every time I read your blog reaffirms how special you are. Go through with this mission so powerful. I know God is in control. Someday maybe we can open a home between the two of us :)
    I love you. And thanks for calling me it may me feel very special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Pebbles"Love to know that you are making "Spaghetti Sauce" I trust that you will find a 'new" recipe for us to try when you get back.

    God has surely Blessed all of us, specially you, who has decided to live life for others. You are now "out in the world" and you chose the "hard road" NOT the easy way. Like your "Uncle" Victor would say" it ain't easy life in the tropics".

    You've chosen well to put all matters in God's hands, HE will help you see the way. Your grandmother used to say " No hay mal que dure 100 años ni cuerpo que lo resista" (there's no illness that will last for 100 years, nor a body that can take it)...Tomorrow is another day.

    Well, as you probably guessed, I received all the " Blog writing coaching" from Mom ad Cheka. Hope I can do this someday on my own.
    LOVE YOU LOTS. May GOD Bless you and those you are trying to help.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really good stuff. Not many people have the courage to go out of their way to help those in need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please when you come back teach me this: "how to procrastinate while still actually getting things done" lol Loved the second paragraph of the present! Keep going sis! That God and all of us who love you we are by your side! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dios les bendiga!
    Jaime, your mom sent me your link. Though I'm not a Facebook fan or a blog reader, I was quite interested in your adventures here.
    It reminds me in many ways of our experiences as Peace Corps Volunteers in Chile in the late 70's. I have looked back on that experience often and thought: "How much different it would have been had we known the Lord when we were there!. Instead of slogging around on our own, (and being much more full of ourselves than anyone had any right to be at 28 years old) we would have been more loving to those with whom we worked."
    As I can see from what you describe, there are many days when your relationship with the Lord is what is carrying you through. Keep on keeping on...you will not be disappointed in all that the Lord has in store.
    Because of Christ,
    Mary Ann Hastings

    ReplyDelete
  11. My dear Jamie:

    Reading all of your experiences and knowledge has made me think what a great human beeing you are. I wish you all the best and remember your family and friends love you and are waiting for you in PR and US.
    Lelo

    ReplyDelete