About Us

My photo
Kasoa, Ghana
Back in the day, the old-days of the New Testament, it was honorable to be a disciple. It was so honorable, in fact, that a disciple would leave everything: house, friends, and family to learn to be exactly like the rabbi. During these times a blessing developed: “May you be covered in the dust of your rabbi.” Right out of college, two girls decided to pursue the call to teaching in Africa. They invite you to join their words and thoughts as they shake the dust of their chacos off on their blog, hoping to reveal to you all that God is revealing to them.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Gye Nyame... 'Except God' (I fear none)

So last Thursday Lizziey and I met again with sister Madeline for dinner at the convent! Although we talked about our Visa application process, and reviewed some other details of the trip, the best part was saved for last, as we took a quick tour of the Heritage Room. Who knew so much history resided in our campus? I certainly did not! Anyways, while looking around sister Madeline pointed to a wooden symbol on the wall and told us that is was a "gye nyame" (GEE-NAMI, sounds like tsunami) and that it meant I fear none except  God. She mentioned that it was a very popular symbol and that it could be found everywhere in Ghana.

"Gye Nyame"
In typical Jamie fashion I proceeded to find out more about this symbol. I found that there are many symbols, all having been created for an "Adinkra" cloth. The Adinkra is one of the highly valued hand-printed and hand-embroidered cloths. Since each of the many symbols have a meaning, these cloths usually tell a story. Its origin is traced to the Asante people of Ghana and the Gyaman people of Cote' d'lvoire (Ivory Coast). 
 
"Adinkra symbolism is a visual representation of social thought relating to the history, philosophy and religious beliefs of the Akan peoples of Ghana and Cote' d'Ivoire" defined Dr. Kwaku Ofori-Ansa.
 
In addition to its sacred usage, it is also used to make clothing for such special occasions as festivals, church-going, weddings, naming ceremonies and initiation rites. Each of the general themes that make up the core of adinkra symbolism has a name and meaning derived either from a proverb, a historical event, human attitude, animal behavior, plant life, forms and shapes of inanimate and man-made objects; something that I found to be very interesting and unique. For more information about different symbols click HERE. 

These cloths reminded me of a book I once read called "The Storyteller's Daughter" by Cameron Dokey. This book is based on the Arabian Nights, but in it the storyteller reads the story for the king by feeling the weaving of the fabric (since she is blind). This story always fascinated me, so finding out that in Ghana a slightly similar thing was being done really surprised me. I love the idea that seemingly random designs have a deeper meaning and symbolism than what one might originally presume. The Adinkra seems to be a "written" representation of all the attitudes, beliefs, and hopes of a people. After having browsed a couple of them in the above mentioned link, I find that a lot of them have to deal with moral, religious, and aesthetic principles.

I guess what impresses me the most is that essentially the national symbol of these people deals with the idea that come what may the only thing we really need is to have fear of God. Of course by fear I do not mean we need to be afraid of God, but we need to "fear" the possibility of not being with God. Interestingly enough that past Tuesday Lizziey and I had been doing our devotional and we talked about having fear of God. We learned that God had told His people to have fear of Him and to worship none but Him, but that when Moses went up to Mt. Sinai they had "fear for their lives" and hence committed a sin. It is amazing to me how this symbol serves as a constant reminder about how we must have fear of God, but simultaneously it comforts the people to know that whatever their circumstances in life nothing else really matters excepts for one's relationship with God. How awesome is that?! So I just want to remind you today that no matter what you are going through "Gye Nyame" ! :D


God Bless,
Jamie



11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave a Comment please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Loved: "we need to "fear" the possibility of not being with God" Gye Nyame!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Our motorcycle club uses the Gye Nyame as our symbol....Staggered Line Motorcycle cl

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is beautiful.. Somehow the writing is similar to Chinese 芜, but not the meaning :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just recently received a beautiful black necklace with this symbol,I love to learn different cultures anything that has to do with my people,my ancestors,pan africana or africana studies,from a black liberation theology perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,
    I came across your blog and found it very interesting. I'm a Ghanaian, but I didn't know adinkra symbols were handprinted and specifically for certain celebrations, and I'd love to read the book you mentioned. A little correction, though: it's pronounced (in my tribe at least) "jay nyah-mee".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jacqueline! Are you from the northern region? In Kasoa, we didn't hear the "j" sound in Gye Name! Thanks for letting us know!

      Delete
  8. Have it tatooed on my arm..Gye Nyame

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like most African Americans descendants of African slaves, I was indoctrinated into European Christianity. As I grew older I became more curious about the history of Christianity. Time moved on and as I studied this religion more indept I became very bitter. The Europeans invasion of Africa, the rape, enslavement and murders of millions of our ancestors I concluded that I no longer had any interest in Christianity. After being drafted into the military I was soon sent to Vietnam. The experience was bitter to say the least but during my stay, I became very interested in Buddhism. Buddhism was a total mental experience for me. After my tour of duty in Vietnam I came back home and continued my venture into Buddhism. I highly respect this religion. Later I found myself practicing Islam. Years later I found myself once again disenchanted with Islam. As time moved on I ventured into African religions. The History of Egyptian Spiritualism impressed me a great deal. The history of the Anhk and what it historically stood for left me very impressed not to mention that it was African. It got even better, I finally after many years learned of the Ghana Gye Nyame symbol. I highly respect this symbol and what it stands for. I only ware two symbols now. The Anhk and the Gye Nyame symbol.

    ReplyDelete

  10. This is really nice to read content of this blog. A is very extensive and vast knowledgeable platform has been given by this blog.
    Click Here : 2005 Cat 140H (1312) w/7895 Hrs For Sale at $108k

    ReplyDelete